Okay, we’re going to walk you through searching for a charity on Chimp.
There are more than 85,000 registered charities in Canada. But don’t be overwhelmed by the number – Chimp is all about making giving easy.
Let’s say you have $75 burning a hole in your fund. You’ve put in $25 a month for the last few months. (Nice regular “adding” by the way!)
You just saw yet another heartbreaking story on people starving in Somalia. You might not understand all the ins and outs of the crisis happening over there (kudos if you do!), but you know there’s famine on top drought on top of political turmoil. When you saw that mother holding her malnourished baby, your heartstrings were sufficiently tugged, and you were inspired to do something.
And then you remembered – you have money in your Chimp Fund ready for times like these!
You know you want to give it to an organization doing work in Somalia, but you don’t know which one. No problem, that’s when Chimp’s handy dandy “search” kicks in. (We’ve made some pretty great improvements to it over the last few months that we’re pretty proud of. There’s more to come, too. Got a comment on what search tools would help you? Tell us below.)
- Click on “Send Money.” Check that is says “New Charity” at the top, and you can start your search.
- On the bottom of the right toolbar, you can see “Does Work In.” Type in Somalia. (You can do the same in the larger “Search for a Recipient” field as well.)
- You can then read what each charity does, where it’s based, and more. You can also find out how it spends its money – something people want to more about these days, understandably so.
- Once you’ve chosen the charity you want to give to, enter the amount you want to give on the right and you’re off to the races.
- Once you’ve finished the last step, Chimp sends your money on to the charity you’ve chosen.