We’ve formed a group in partnership with Rainbow Railroad to sponsor Rahim & Amir, a gay refugee couple coming to Canada to escape severe persecution in their home country of Iran. Once here, they’ll be recovering not only from the trauma they faced at home, but face the starting their life again in a new culture. Our first priority is to raise money to support them as they find their footing here in Canada. We’ll also help them in other areas that most of us take for granted, such as:
• finding a home, educational opportunities, and ultimately, a job;
• getting them registered for an OHIP card, social insurance number, and other government IDs;
• connecting them with a doctor, dentist, and other health service providers;
• orienting them to the city and public transit;
• assisting them in opening a bank account;
• soliciting donations of winter clothing;
• organizing social events to help them develop a sense of community here.
We plan to raise at least $30,000 to cover costs of living for our sponsees’ first year in Toronto – food, rent, transportation, and other basic needs. If you’d like to help in other, non-financial ways, please email us at email@example.com
About the Organizers
We’re a group of friends (Chris, Christofer, Glenn, Jason, Jorge, Raymond, Sam, Stacey, Stewart, Suanne, and Yvonne) who are grateful for the privileges living in Canada affords us. Some of us met through fundraisers like the Friends for Life Bike Rally (https://bikerally.org) and the TriAdventure (www.triforafrica.org); all of us understand that being of service to others not only helps them but contributes to our own health and happiness, too.